Tuesday, April 7, 2009

2 Bad Posts for the Price of 1!

I was going to lay off the Yankee hate for one day and maybe write about other things occurring in baseball, but then I decided to read the NY Post for reactions to the opening day loss and came across this horrific article by George King. I realize calling out the NY Post for bad journalism is like calling out...um...yeah, I got nothing. (I need to work on the whole joke thing.) Point being, I was going to let the article slide until I got to this part:

After going hitless in his first three plate appearances, Teixeira had a chance to mute the loud boos in his hometown from O's fans that foolishly hold it against him for not signing with the downtrodden club.

Now, I suppose this could be a commentary on ridiculousness of the American Zeitgeist being dominated by a child's game to the point of manifesting hatred against certain individuals without ever meeting them, but this is the NY Post we're talking about. Thus: are you fucking kidding me?! A prize free-agent pickup spurns the team he grew up idolizing and instead signs with the chief division rival and the fans of said team can't express their disappointment and frustration? To say that Orioles fans have no grounds to boo Teixeira is like suggesting the NY Post writes good articles. (Buh-ZING!)

Also, it's fucking insane.




So now on to what I was originally going to post....

Jamie Moyer lost his first start of the season, which is a shame because I've got a lot of respect for a major leaguer whose velocity is less than his age (I am not below taking a cheap shot) and because I want Moyer to win as many games as possible since it will prove a point that many baseball fans fail to realize. Mainly, 300 wins is a pointless statistic by which to measure a pitcher's worth. If Moyer somehow manages to pitch a few more years (probably wont happen) and win around 12 games each year, he could top that plateau which would easily prove my earlier contention and, furthermore, that wins are a generally pointless statistic.

Let's face it, Moyer has been an above-average (though sometimes very good) pitcher for a long time. Is this to be commended? Absolutely. But does reaching 300 wins elevate him to the pantheon of the greatest pitchers of all time? Do his amazingly average stats (career ERA+ of 106, for instance) disappear because of this arbitrary number? (I'd be the smartass that provides answers for the questions, except both of them are rhetorical. I really need to practice this whole biting sarcastic commentary thing.) I'd love to see someone try to defend Moyer's Hall of Fame credentials if he does win 300, mainly because I'd love to tear that person apart for being an idiot.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive